Friday, May 27, 2016

Posted by: Cindy Leavitt

I have been struggling to write my blog this month and I realized that by shifting my personal expectation from one to two weeks between blogs, I quickly fell out of the habit of writing. Then it became harder to restart writing the longer it went since my last blog.

CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=37670370
Writing this blog has been very important for me in helping me be the leader that I aspire to be. When I was doing it weekly, it was a lot of work, but energizing and grounding as well. This month as I have struggled to keep up the habit, it has been de-energizing. So while, I was not taking the time to do the blog, it didn’t feel like I got more done. I have been surprised at the number of people who have been following my blog and commenting about what they have learned from them. It has been gratifying to know that sharing my experiences is helpful to others. 

I have realized that I only have a limited set of energy and that it takes an extraordinary amount of energy to change. So when I am motivated enough to change, if I can do something consistently enough to create  a habit, it takes much less energy to keep it going. The real power is when I have established habits that generate more energy for me, which creates a positive reinforcing cycle that allows me to make other changes and have the energy and stamina to do meaningful work.

Recognizing where I have done this successfully in my life gives me the confidence to establish additional new habits, which include restarting when I fail to meet my original expectations.

Two areas where I have established successful habits are in my personal planning to make sure I focus on the most important things consistently and my exercise routines.

Every Monday morning, I take a few minutes to write down the most important things that I need to accomplish that week for my strategic initiatives at work, relationship building, and personal life. The lists for each area are not long, only 1-3 items. Than I look at my calendar and block times of when I can do the tasks. This simple habit has been incredibly effective and allowed me to advance important initiatives that are ambiguous. It is incredibly energizing to see the progress and the impact of focusing on these important items.

The second habit is exercise. I exercise every day and it is the basis for much of my vitality. The method of exercise has changed over many years, but it usually involves a social aspect as well as a physical aspect. It helps keep me going to know that others are expecting me to exercise with them. Whether it is being with my comrades at 6am at the gym, walking and talking with friends, biking with my buddies, or doing yoga when I want to be by myself. When I don’t exercise, I feel worse during the day.  My muscles actually hurt when I don’t move, so that is very motivating for me to keep up my exercise habits.

Try to take a few minutes over this long weekend to examine what you are doing that gives and drains your energy. What habit could you start to develop that would increase your energy and effectiveness?

I am recommitting to writing this blog weekly as a way to increase my energy and effectiveness.







0 comments :

Post a Comment