Wednesday, May 13, 2015

-- Tony Markel


I am taking a class offered by Human Resources called Leading Successfully at UMHS. I rarely encounter classes where I can apply the lessons learned immediately in my day-to-day. It's not a panacea, but it has proven to be an excellent set of tools that have made a dramatic impact on my interactions with my colleagues.


Leading innovation and change is one of the UMHS Leadership Core Competencies. Our class assignment was to interview a leader in the Health System who demonstrates one of the twelve core competencies.

For our interview we chose Dr. Brahmajee Nallamothu, the Director of the Data and Methods Hub for the Institute for Healthcare Policy and Innovation (IHPI). Here he is in a video profile:





Q: What do you find unique about your role?
The ability to bring the experience of the “average user” to technical meetings to make work more efficient.

Q: Where do you go to find new ideas?
I try to read outside my own trade journals.  I seek out sources of information outside my domain.  I read Wired, the Harvard Business Review, and the Chance Journal of Statistics. I also try to find new experiences.  I recently went on a trip with the Michigan Road Scholars, where we met with leaders across the state.  It was great to find so many people working on important problems.

Q: Where do you feel most creative?
When I engage with younger faculty.  They have really great ideas and are not afraid to challenge norms.

Q: What steps do you take when you need to make an immediate decision but don’t have much data available?
Make sure everyone is on board.  Family, Patient and Team.  Trust the people to make the right decision.

Q: What skills or personal characteristics do you feel contribute most to success in this job role?
Being a non-expert is a plus.  I helps us make sure we’re working to solve the right problem.  I also think building consensus is important for doing what is right for the greater good.  I also don’t understand why there’s a divide between faculty and staff.  Bringing and meeting people on the same level is important.

Q: What is the most important thing that you would tell someone who was going to assume your position?
It’s a social organization.  You have to be present and listen to people, and you can’t do it from your office.  Seek out critics and actively seek feedback.

Q:  How do you connect innovation, strategy, and leadership?
It requires prioritizing and utilizing each area for its strengths.  Innovators are great at thinking, tinkering, and coming up with new ideas.  Strategizers help define the path for change and innovation.  Leadership implements the change, leveraging the strengths of the team.

Q: What do you wish you knew (but didn’t) when you first contemplated this career?
Just how much this job relies on people and how important it is to find the most efficient path to collaboration with colleagues.

Q: What are the most and least rewarding aspects of your job?
Most: Solving an important pain point. Solving things with impact in Science, Patient Care, and just assisting people.
Least: Dead-ends.  Well meaning people with problems that lead nowhere when it going gets tough. Also, when people do not value time enough.

Q: What are your success habits?
Engaging with people, making it a safe place to express ideas.  Creating a system of good follow-up.  Prioritizing Family, Exercise, being a physician and a researcher.




1 comments :

  1. Thanks, Tony. I enjoyed reading this interview. -Kathleen Omollo

    ReplyDelete