Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Day Two perceptions of telework: It is incredible how unimportant I am. 




Well, perhaps it is that is too extreme and self-demeaning ( or perhaps not depending on your impression of me... Johmarx) to claim to be wholly unimportant. However most notable in my second day of teleworking has been more of a reflection on how much I am distracted through availability bias in the workplace.

Not surprisingly to most is the understanding and acceptance, if not championing, that I am an involved at work. You need an opinion? I got an opinion...opinions on tap, no waiting, free for all. From ITIL workflow to B200 flora I have expressed my will and intent to innocent passersby (sorry about that).

This has created a bubble of involvement that really does not need to be there. Somehow I suspect that the more fundamental operations of MSIS will survive without my direct input (thank you Sue and Jerry) and that I can focus on that which is critical to my efforts.

More notable is that in two days, I have basically accomplished five days worth of work that would under conventional circumstances only have a vague chance of being completed. I wasn't even trying that hard to be honest. It just so happens that a good deal of my 9 to 5 is prone to interruption.

When teleworking, there is the incumbency of obligation to be available. I find myself preoccupied with how my direct reports perceive my availability to them.  To that end, I update my skype profile more and send out emails regarding my schedule, to what avail I do not know. The sheer productivity of my days lends circumstance to what I must be missing but obviously it is not of critical import. These are either great or humbling realizations. Maybe both.

In day two I will note that there is little I cannot accomplish with our telepresence tooling but coordination with your teammates is critical . Do not spring telepresence at the last minute and expect good things to happen. If you are remote, I think the expectation should be that you ensure within reason that the telepresence tools will work well for your function.




0 comments :

Post a Comment