Wednesday, October 8, 2014

-- Tony Markel
Alternative Title: Squirrel!

I suffer from lack of focus sometimes.  Okay, a little more than sometimes.  When life is handing you multiple priorities, it's important to find a way to focus on the one thing you need to get done now. But how? Maybe this will help when you need to get stuff done.  The simple mantra presented in the headings below are what I use when I need to focus.

Focus with your eyes, focus with your mind, focus with your body.

Focus with your Eyes

Eliminating distractions is important to maintaining focus.  For me, it's the notification settings for my applications, like Skype, Email, and IM.  Pop-ups are not cool when you're focused.

Close anything you're not using or use a focus-enhancing app like Isolator, Pomodoro or Focus Booster.

Focus with your Mind

Take a few deep breaths.  Think about the thing you're about to do.  Plan and rehearse the steps in your mind.  Write the steps down on a pad of paper, or in a ticket, or in a story.  Stick to the list.

Focus with your Body

If what you need to do needs your undivided attention, move to a quiet spot, or make it clear that you need some personal space if you can't move at this moment.  

I've never been good at focus, although I do try daily.  I'd like to know what you do to maintain focus, and get stuff done.  Share in the comments section!

0 comments :

Post a Comment