Wednesday, July 8, 2015


Since the release of the MSIS teleworking guidelines in April, several MSIS’ers have been taking advantage of working remotely and some have blogged about it. “Profiles in Teleworking” is part of a new series where we check in to see how things are going for both our newer and established MSIS teleworkers. If you are teleworking and want to write about your experiences for this series, please feel free to do so! If you are feeling shy you can also contact Susan Topol, who will be glad to assist you.

What is your primary reason for teleworking?
Jasna's Teleworking Set-Up.
Relocation to Ann Arbor is not an option for me. We are settled in San Diego, my husband's company is here and moving is not part of our 'life plan' for the foreseeable future. In one of my previous jobs with an international publishing company, I had direct reports in London (+8 time zones) and in Amsterdam (+9 time zones). Even at that distance and no common working hours, everything worked very well. And before my job at Michigan became full time and permanent, I did quite a lot of consulting for both U.S. and international clients so I am used to working remotely through multiple time zones. 






What are the advantages?

For me, there are many advantages:
  • Being able to maintain my home life in San Diego and still have this job.
  • Enjoying a lot of flexibility in terms of work hours and where, exactly, I work (usually in San Diego, sometimes in NY, sometimes in other cities, or on planes, etc.).
  • Cutting down on unnecessary meetings. I connect in by video or phone to meetings where my presence is needed but being remote, it is easier to miss meetings that are less important to my (and my team's) work.
  • Cutting down on travel time to/from meetings and time spent chatting before or after meetings. I just hang up the phone or disconnect the video and get on with other work.
  • Giving me a little distance from the various politics and other related distractions that can often be counterproductive when trying to get things done. I feel that the distance gives me perspective, making it easier to not get embroiled in 'noise' that can often exist in large organizations.
  • Being remote makes me more persistent in getting people's attention, getting them to respond to my emails/phone calls, making sure I continue to be on the radar with my team, colleagues, and collaborators.
Providing the flexibility for people to work remotely has enabled us to recruit very talented employees who happen to have family obligations that require them to spend time at an off-site location. This does not have to hamper productivity in any way. In our experience it actually has the opposite effect -- when any of our staff work from home (or elsewhere), they are especially vigilant to ensure that work gets done in a timely manner. We are appreciative of the opportunity to be able to telecommute and are highly motivated to make sure we do a good job.

What are the disadvantages?

Jasna leads a meeting of the MSIS Learning Design & Publishing Team.
Videoconferencing makes it easier for cats and babies to participate as well.
It can be a challenge to set boundaries. I tend to start working early in the morning (when people in Ann Arbor start) but I don't usually stop in the mid-afternoon, when it is 5:00pm or 6:00pm in Ann Arbor. It is easy to work all the time when the office is at home and there is always a lot yet to be done. But, I do have the flexibility to take an hour or two during the day when I am not involved in meetings or some other time-specific commitment, and take care of home responsibilities. I really don't see any disadvantages for me. It does take a certain personality and also work style to be able to telecommute. Some might find it a bit lonely, not being in an office setting with lots of other people around. Also, it requires self-discipline. It can be easy to get distracted by other things and not get work done.




What “home comfort” has meant the most to you?

Flexibility, being able to work in my gym clothes (!) and having my cat asleep on the chair next to me :-) 
Jasna's office assistant enjoys a break.

1 comments :

  1. Ooh! I'm so happy to finally see Jasna! This is a wonderful read, and the points Jasna makes re: advantages and disadvantages mirror my own experience. Thanks for putting this together!

    ReplyDelete